Thursday 12 December 2013

Secrets

SECRETS

In ‘Ultimate Theatre’ I argue that when we find ourselves in extreme and high pressured situations we are better susceptible to being more honest with ourselves and with others. But why should we wait for a life or death situation before we tell each other that we love one another, are sorry, or realise ourselves what is most important in our lives? I suppose the answer has something to do with fear of getting hurt and social and cultural influences on the choices we make. Of course people in love, family and alike, we tend to find opening up to one another much easier to do.

Outside of these relationships I find it liberating to visit Postsecret, an art project that encourages strangers to share their deepest secrets with one another anonymously. Post secret reminds us that the things that make us abnormal are in fact the things that make us all the same, and therefore normal.

In 2004 Frank Warren printed 3,000 postcards inviting people to share a secret with him and personalise it and then he left the postcards in library books, at train stations, and in art galleries. PostSecret is a book compiled of all these secrets.







“I make up fantasy stories because my real life SUCKS...And now my fantasy life is starting to suck too” (Warren 2004).

 “I love you so much...But I can’t tell you!” (Warren 2004).



This year I happened upon the above toilet cubicle in Dundee University. Scrawled all over the walls and door were declarations of love, advice, and secrets. It was reassuring to see that not only were girls sharing with one another, but that very few had attempted to bastardize it with bad taste graffiti or rude remarks.



I believe the reasons for the opening up of all these girls has a lot to do with the environment – the toilet cubicle. As I have talked about in Unconditional, I believe that cubicle spaces can be very euphoric. 



Here are some pictures of the close ups of some of the things written.


















No comments:

Post a Comment